I'm booking five resources, and right now I just use an excel sheet with all
the dates in the first column (1/1/2000, 2/1/2000 ..., and the next five
columns are the five resources.  When I book one, I just scroll to the
appropriate date and change the color of the column for that resource for
all the dates it's booked for, and then I put any information about the
booking (who booked it, their e-mail address if it's someone I don't know,
whether it has been paid) somewhere in the colored area.

I'd like to start using a database instead, but I'm very very new and I
don't know how I should structure it.  I think if I do it correctly I think
I could check much more easily whether anything is available for a date
range, without having to scroll through my excel sheet to find that date and
look, which is a pain because it's kind of long.  It seems most databases
are much more complicated than mine though -- for example, I don't even have
any structure to the "extra" information I put about a booking, I sometimes
just put a name like "Joe for conference"....

How should the database structure look.  Am I even doing the right thing by
wanting to use a database?  I'm very very new and kind of lost, any help
would be appreciated.  Thank you!!