D. Richard Hipp wrote:

> See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_day
>
> Note that "Julian" in Julian Day Number and Julian Calendar
> refer to two different people named Julius.  The Julian Day Number
> Julian is Julius Scaliger, the father of the guy who invented
> the julian day number in 1583.  Julian in Julian Calendar refers to
> Julius Caesar, the Roman emperor.

Richard,

 From the wikipedia article you cited:

Note: although many references say that the Julian in "Julian day"
refers to Scaliger's father, Julius Scaliger, in the introduction to
Book V of his Opus de Emendatione Temporum ("Work on the Emendation of
Time") he states, "Iulianum vocavimus: quia ad annum Iulianum dumtaxat
accomodata est", which translates more or less as "We have called it
Julian merely because it is accommodated to the Julian year." This
Julian refers to Julius Caesar, who introduced the Julian calendar in 46 BC.

I can't vouch for the veracity of this note, but he he seems to know
what he is talking about and has given what is purported to be a
reference from the original author that backs his claim (as best I can
tell from the quoted Latin and its translation). As always you have to
take everything on wikipedia with a grain of salt, but this looks
authoritative.

Dennis Cote