If the sqlite statement had a temporary storage area so that I could
load up a bunch of rows and then commit them in one shot so that the
lock on the db was not held very long by a single transaction, that
would probably work.

However, my reading of the documentation leads me to believe that
using the bind functions in a loop with an insert statement will lock
the entire in-memory DB until the bulk insert is done....which means I
would get no benefit from concurrency.

Is this correct?

BTW: does the question I posed on modifying the library to add a
feature to attach  an in-memory data stores to another one via the C
API belong on the sqlite-dev list?

thanks,
James