Igor Tandetnik wrote:
> select id, track from music order by track, id limit 2;
>
> select id, track from music
> where track>'aaa' or (track='aaa' and id>4)
> order by track, id limit 2;

Igor,

Thank you! I had been looking at a more general case, and a small amount
of thought made me conclude that what I wanted was not possible. You
just showed that it is not only possible, but even fairly straightforward.

In my situation the first two fields cannot be relied on to be unique,
so rowid will have to be added to the "where" and "order by" clauses,
but now it is clear what needs to be done.

Thanks again, for this and many other educational postings.

Gerry