>Fair warning, though: It's not entirely clear that the fts search
>syntax should aim to hew too closely to consumer-oriented search
>syntax.

Interesting point, too. Up to now, I always perceived the FTS search syntax to
be very much consumer-oriented. It it just too similar to major search engines
to be primarily machine-oriented.

As it stands now, FTS syntax can of course be machine generated, if that is
what you are aiming at. I believe that this should remain easy to do. And my
suggested minus sign modification would not change this, would it?

>It's sort of in a strange place, most people would think it a
>poor idea (indeed, dangerous!) to put user-entered expressions in
>their WHERE clauses.

I am not sure I understand the danger. Say I sqlite3_bind() the FTS match
query, do you see this as a serious security risk (FTS injection) or a
potential performance jeopardy, or something else?

>Caveat for the above: I've spent all of five minutes thinking about
>your posting, and I was interrupted in the middle.  But I'll try to
>factor it in to future thinking.

Thanks for your time and your thoughts!

Ralf

PS: I see little traffic on <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>. Is this intentional, or should
this and simliar topics better be discussed there?