On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 12:35:14PM -0400, Alex Katebi wrote:
> Peter,
>    I am using my own implementation. I found RPC and others too complicated
> to use and it did not give me enough control on the transport layer. I need
> my socket to be non-blocking and I am using epoll( ) which is very
> efficient.

You can use XDR without using ONC/RPC.  That puts you in full control of
the transport layer, but let's you reuse a existing, mature structured
data marshalling/unmarshalling technology.

XDR is a data representation language and encoding, much like IDL+NDR
are in the DCE RPC (and MSRPC) world, or like ASN.1+BER/DER/CER/PER/XER,
or like...  There are many, many such languages and encodings.

So, why re-invent the wheel?

Heck, SQLite itself has its own encoding for on-disk sotrage, and IIRC
it's endian-neutral (i.e., the same DB works on little-endian and
big-endian systems).  Perhaps libsqlite ought to export functions for
encoding/decoding values.

Nico