>> I am running the rtree module against an SQLite build which has
>> lots of functionality SQLITE_OMIT_...ed.
>
>Can you be more specific? Exactly which SQLITE_OMIT symbols
>are defined?

Sure. Here is the list:

  SQLITE_OMIT_ALTERTABLE
  SQLITE_OMIT_ANALYZE
  SQLITE_OMIT_ATTACH
  SQLITE_OMIT_AUTHORIZATION
  SQLITE_OMIT_AUTOINCREMENT
  SQLITE_OMIT_AUTOVACUUM
  SQLITE_OMIT_BETWEEN_OPTIMIZATION
  SQLITE_OMIT_BLOB_LITERAL
  SQLITE_OMIT_CAST
  SQLITE_OMIT_CHECK
  SQLITE_OMIT_COMPLETE
  SQLITE_OMIT_COMPOUND_SELECT
  SQLITE_OMIT_EXPLAIN
  SQLITE_OMIT_FLAG_PRAGMAS
  SQLITE_OMIT_FOREIGN_KEY
  SQLITE_OMIT_GET_TABLE
  SQLITE_OMIT_GLOBALRECOVER
  SQLITE_OMIT_INCRBLOB
  SQLITE_OMIT_INTEGRITY_CHECK
  SQLITE_OMIT_LIKE_OPTIMIZATION
  SQLITE_OMIT_LOAD_EXTENSION
  SQLITE_OMIT_MEMORYDB
  SQLITE_OMIT_OR_OPTIMIZATION
  SQLITE_OMIT_PAGER_PRAGMAS
  SQLITE_OMIT_PROGRESS_CALLBACK
  SQLITE_OMIT_QUICKBALANCE
  SQLITE_OMIT_REINDEX
  SQLITE_OMIT_SCHEMA_VERSION_PRAGMAS
  SQLITE_OMIT_SHARED_CACHE
  SQLITE_OMIT_SUBQUERY
  SQLITE_OMIT_TCL_VARIABLE
  SQLITE_OMIT_TEMPDB
  SQLITE_OMIT_TRACE
  SQLITE_OMIT_TRIGGER
  SQLITE_OMIT_UTF16
  SQLITE_OMIT_VACUUM
  SQLITE_OMIT_VIEW
  SQLITE_OMIT_XFER_OPT

I have reconstructed a few tests from rtree1.test and the errors only show with
the SQLITE_OIMIT_... symbols defined. Otherwise the tests run just fine.

>Rtree uses ALTER TABLE as part of the xRename() callback. The
>xRename() callback is invoked when the sqlite user does an
>ALTER TABLE. So, the rtree code that uses ALTER TABLE will
>never be invoked when the module is being used by an sqlite
>build that does not support ALTER TABLE. I suspect the same
>is true of fts3.

Right, I did not think of the fact that with SQLITE_OMIT_ALTERTABLE defined the
parser already triggers a syntax error so it never reaches the virtual tree.

>It looks like there are a few extra lines of code that could
>be omitted from the build when SQLITE_OMIT_ALTERTABLE is
>defined though.

Agreed, but this would not save much footprint so it might not be worth the
effort. I was more thinking in terms of detecting potential errors at
compilation before they occur at run-time.

Many thanks for looking into this,

Ralf