On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 9:11 AM, Andrew Gatt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have a table of music artist names which i'd like to output in order.
> Normally i just use:
>
> select * from artists order by artist_name;
>
> What i'd really like to do is order the artists by name but ignore any
> "the" or "the," preceding it.

iTunes and iPods solve this problem by having two of each field: Title /
Sort Title, Artist / Sort Artist, Album / Sort Album.  The "Sort" versions
are populated by stripping things like "The" and whatnot.   You can keep
them in sync with triggers, or application logic, or whatever.

--
-- Stevie-O
Real programmers use COPY CON PROGRAM.EXE