On Aug 18, 2008, at 8:34 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> The example with just one main database does not consume more than
> ~300KB
> which seems to be pretty close to the specified 'cache_size'. The
> second example with three attached database consumes
> around 500KB per query and it looks like 'cache_size' setting is not
> relevant.

The cache_size is specified separately for each ATTACHed database.
The default is 2000.  So if you attach three databases, your total
cache size will be 8000 (2000 for the original plus 2000 for each
ATTACHed database).  Change cache sizes using separate cache_size
pragmas for each attached database.

Please also note that in the next release (SQLite version 3.6.2) the
cache_size pragma will probably become a no-op.  We are working on
alternative mechanisms to control the amount of cache memory used.

D. Richard Hipp
[EMAIL PROTECTED]