Yes I am able to do that. I fill out the BITMAPFILEHEADER and
BITMAPINFOHEADER information for the image, and then I do this:

bmpFile.Write(&bitmapfileheader, sizeof(BITMAPFILEHEADER));
bmpFile.Write(&bitmapinfoheader, sizeof(BITMAPINFOHEADER));
bmpFile.Write(pbyBitmap, size);   //pbyBitmap is the actual byte data

This has worked correctly for me. I can load it from the file using
SHLoadDIBitmap().

That is the way I wrote it to a .bmp file.