Hello,

I work for a company which is seeking to replace its homegrown
database engine with a more robust, modern engine.  I've looked at
BerkeleyDB, which would be ideal since all we really need are key/
value pairs for our records and indexes, but its cost is rather
prohibitive.

At this point I'm considering targeting SQLite's internal B-tree API
directly, realizing that I'm assuming some risk as the API isn't
guaranteed to remain stable between releases.  Before I delve into
this, can anyone suggest a better approach to using SQLite in a lower-
level manner for storing key/value pairs?

drh mentioned the SQLite Stored Statement Extension in a post last year:

        http://www.mail-archive.com/sqlite-users@sqlite.org/msg23591.html

Does it in fact have an API that would lend itself well to key/value
pairs?

Thanks!