On 9/16/08, Martin (OPENGeoMap) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Mohit Sindhwani escribió:
>
> > Jeff Godfrey wrote:
>  >
>  >> According to a paper written by Richard Hipp (the creator of SQLite),
>  >> Tcl is the ideal language.  Here's a quote from the mentioned paper:
>  >>
>  >> "The increasing popularity of SQLite is seen in the fact that the main
>  >> website daily serves about a gigabyte of data to around 3000 unique IP
>  >> addresses. SQLite has been eagerly embraced by PHP, Perl, and Python
>  >> programmers. What most of these enthusiastic users fail to realize is
>  >> that SQLite bindings for the three P-languages are an afterthought.
>  >> SQLite was designed from the beginning to be used with Tcl. Tcl bindings
>  >> have been in the SQLite core since before version 1.0 and almost half of
>  >> the SQLite source code base consists of regression test scripts written
>  >> in Tcl. SQLite wants to be programmed in Tcl, not those other languages."
>  >>
>  >> The entire paper can be found here:
>  >>
>  >> http://www.tcl.tk/community/tcl2004/Papers/D.RichardHipp/drh.html
>  >>
>  >
>  > While that's true, Ruby works really well with SQLite!
>  >

> Ruby rocks. C# rocks. D rocks. I used ruby in a project and i am very
>  happy. /gem install sqlite3/-ruby ...
>  This 3 languages are completed from the begining and with different uses.
>
>  For me the universe must be in C and autocreate bindings to other
>  languages is direct if the C APi is well designed.
>  http://live.gnome.org/Vala
>  http://live.gnome.org/GObjectIntrospection
>  If you design a masterful API in C, you can access to all languages like
>  JAVA, c#, ruby, python, PERL,D, C++, ...
>  This is the perfect sample of this API:
>  http://library.gnome.org/devel/glib/2.18/
>  This is the perfect sample of a full Object oriented API in C with Gobject:
>  http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtk/stable/
>
>  I doubt SQLite was more apropiate to use in TCL. I see the C API of
>  SQlite very clean and easy to hack in other languages.
>
>  In my opinion TCL.like perl,  is death and sucks in my opinion.
>  Ofusctated life...
>
>  PD: I was PERL user in the past and i change it for ruby.

ai, ai, ai... words such as "death" and "sucks" in one sentence...
fortunately, they are "in your opinion."

Fortunately, I won't have to change to Ruby as I am quite happy and
comfortable with the language of my choice (which happens to start
with P).

I reiterate -- the best programming language is the one you are best at.

Nelson Institute for Environmental Studies http://www.nelson.wisc.edu/
Open Source Geospatial Foundation (OSGeo) http://www.osgeo.org/