"Zbigniew Baniewski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> The problem is, that it's not only about global number of records - I
> would to have a possibility to quickly count number of records found
> by conditional queries like: "select count(*) from table where
> <condition>". Partially it can be solved by moving the task to the
> application (fetch, then count list size)

It's unlikely to be any faster. count(*) does precisely the same thing
internally, anyway. Depending on the nature of <condition>, you might be
able use indexes to speed up the WHERE part.

> although not always I want
> to fetch all that data. Sometimes I would just to count it.

Don't call sqlite3_column_*. Just call sqlite3_step in a loop. But
again, if you want to get a count of records, you are unlikely to be
able to do any better than a statement using count().
--
With best wishes,
    Igor Tandetnik

necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to
land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly
overhead. -- RFC 1925