On Sep 22, 2008, at 11:18 AM, Jay A. Kreibich wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 10:07:54AM -0400, D. Richard Hipp scratched
> on the wall:
>> I am reluctant to add to SQLite the ability to explicitly specify the
>> index for a query.  I agree with Alex Scotti that the whole idea
>> seems
>> very un-RDBMS like.
>
>   Well it is outside of the Relational Model, that's for sure.
>
>   Then again, the whole concept of indexes are outside of the
>   Relational Model.

this isn't exactly a good argument.  an index surely doesn't break
the relational model in any way.  it's existence or
absence may or may not effect execution time, but would never yield
incorrect or different results.  the ubiquitous b-tree index
may not have been so obvious at the time, and who's to say it will
continue to be a given forever.  the model is just that, a model -
abstracted away from implementation details, no matter how obvious
they seem at the time to the implementers.

to beat a dead horse, the relational model doesn't discuss anything
physical at all.  by your line of reasoning using disks would be
outside.  heaven forbid a buffer pool caching your i/o.

on the other hand we have here a non standard sql extension which
ties users to sqlite, and blatantly does fly in the face of the
relational model.

that being said, as richard points out nobody would force anyone to
use this extension.  i would simply pretend it didn't exist.  my fear
is more along the lines of what a crutch for query optimization
problems features like this can become.