I'm continuing to experiment with deliberate lock contention, using
a sqlite database open on a network share.  Using two computers, and
two handed mouse technique to induce both to write to the same database
at the same time, I sometimes get SQLITE_IOERR rather that SQLITE_LOCKED,
and when this occurs, a pause followed by a retry always fails, even when
the other computer accessing the database no longer has it open.

I stepped into the failure a ways, and discovered it is coming from
sqlite3PagerAcquire

In all the cases I have encountered, it is the computer using the
network share, not the computer hosting the file, which gets the
unrecoverable error.

It seems like this scenario ought to be recoverable by a simple
retry, and that this must be a sqlite bug, or perhaps a failure
in the low level networked file access.