I was thinking of setting up similar experiments; nice idea hooking the
MTD layer to count erase cycles..

I'm going to keep 1st implementation simple and just use sqlite direct
to flash, no  memory cache. Then I can measure the performance..

We should be using a flash controller that does wear levelling which of
course will prolong life.

-
-Paul