On Oct 27, 2008, at 10:23 AM, MikeW wrote:

> William Kyngesburye <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>

>> Does SQlite support UTF8 directly?  Or is this what the ICU extension
>> is for?  Does the sqlite3 shell program support UTF8?
>>
>> There is this spatialite extension which includes a modified sqlite3
>> shell program that "implements full UNICODE support".  So I'm a
>> little
>> confused.
>>
>> -----
>> William Kyngesburye <kyngchaos*at*kyngchaos*dot*com>
>>

> Search the newsgroup ... start here:
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.db.sqlite.general/41826/focus=41843
>
> Regards,
> MikeW

So, sqlite supports UTF8 directly - UTF8 in, UTF8 out.  I suppose this
applies to the shell program also?

And then, ICU adds internal unicode sorting, searching and case
conversion.

The spatialite unicode support seems to be conversion routines to/from
UTF8 in the shell when the shell uses some other encoding.  I guess
this doesn't worry me since OSX defaults to UTF8 in the shell, and I'm
more interested in the library.  I'll have to play with it a bit to
see for sure.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"We are at war with them. Neither in hatred nor revenge and with no
particular pleasure I shall kill every ___ I can until the war is
over. That is my duty."

"Don't you even hate 'em?"

"What good would it do if I did? If all the many millions of people of
the allied nations devoted an entire year exclusively to hating the
____ it wouldn't kill one ___ nor shorten the war one day."

<Ha, ha> "And it might give 'em all stomach ulcers."

- Tarzan, on war