> Order is never guaranteed in a SQL statement's resultset, unless this
> statement specifies an ORDER BY clause. If some statement without such a
> clause happens to give you an order you want, it does so by accident. If
> you want a particular order, say so in the statement.

        Yeah, which would work for the height example, but then would still
mess up the alternation of the side column.

> It would help if you showed the actual statement you have now, and the
> results you expect.

        Apologies.

        It would look like this:

        FName   LName   Side    Height
        ------------------------------
        Igor    Tande   A       1
        Telly   Will    B       1
        John    Smith   A       1
        Bob     Hope    B       1
        Sandy   Rivera  A       2
        Bobby   Sangria B       2
        Jane    Tane    A       2
        Tom     Jones   B       2

        SELECT Fname, Lname, Side, Height FROM (SELECT * FROM table WHERE
Side='A' AND ((Height=1) OR (Height=2)) ORDER BY random() LIMIT 1) UNION
SELECT Fname, Lname, Side, Height FROM (SELECT * FROM table WHERE
Side='B' AND ((Height=1) OR (Height=2)) ORDER BY random() LIMIT 1) UNION
SELECT Fname, Lname, Side, Height FROM (SELECT * FROM table WHERE
Side='A' AND ((Height=1) OR (Height=2)) ORDER BY random() LIMIT 1);

        With the UNION statement above I might get:

        FName   LName   Side    Height
        ------------------------------
        Jane    Tane    A       2
        Igor    Tande   A       1
        Tom     Jones   B       2

        The Height is out of order (not 1, 2, 2).  If I use a UNION ALL
then I might get:

        FName   LName   Side    Height
        ------------------------------
        John    Smith   A       1
        Telly   Will    B       1
        John    Smith   A       1

        See the duplicate?  I'm doing this in a C++ program, so I'm thinking
that
I might have to run individual SELECT statements for each one in the order that
need.

--
VR~
        TW