On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 01:19:27PM -0500, Ben Marchbanks scratched on the wall:
> Abridged sample of the insert statement that produces an error when
> trying to insert escaped text.....
>

> INSERT INTO pageWords (word) VALUES (" \"nitch\" ");

  It is throwing an error because this is not valid SQL.

  In SQL, string literals use single quotes, so you want:

    INSERT INTO pageWords (word) VALUES (' "nitch" ');

  If you're not familiar with SQL syntax, you might want to read this:

    http://www.sqlite.org/lang_expr.html

  In specific, on string literals:

      A string constant is formed by enclosing the string in single
      quotes ('). A single quote within the string can be encoded by
      putting two single quotes in a row - as in Pascal. C-style
      escapes using the backslash character are not supported because
      they are not standard SQL.

   -j

"Our opponent is an alien starship packed with atomic bombs.  We have
 a protractor."   "I'll go home and see if I can scrounge up a ruler
 and a piece of string."  --from Anathem by Neal Stephenson