what's the general rule for deciding when to put multiple tables within a single
sqlite db file?  I think the answer is something like you put tables together in
one database file if they refer to different aspects of the same data element
and you put them in separate database files if there's no connection except the
databases are used in the same application.  For example, in my case, I have one
table which contains the raw original data, a  thoroughly cooked form of the
original data, and a series of data elements which are used for searching and
display.  The related table contains information derived from postprocessing and
will also be used for searching and graphing.  The second table's information
could be regenerated anytime at a cost of running through every record in the
database and recalculating it.  As a result of this association, I figure it's
appropriate to place both records in the same database file.

The third table tracks data from another part of the process and has no
connection to the first two tables except that it is used as part of the
postprocessing calculations that feed the second table described above.  I
figure the third table should go in its own database.

For what it's worth, record counts could easily cross 100,000 for each one of
the tables.  Hope it's not time for mysql :-)

Thanks for a feedback.