On 2008 Dec, 02, at 19:44, Thomas Briggs wrote:

>   Put both commands (the pragma and the read) into a file (e.g.
> foo.txt) and then do:
>
> sqlite3 newDatabase.sqlite '.read foo.txt'

Looked like a great idea, Thomas but it doesn't work for me:

jk$ echo 'PRAGMA page_size=4096 ;' > twoLiner.sh
jk$ echo '.read placesDump.txt ;' >> twoLiner.sh
jk$ sqlite3 places.sqlite '.read twoLiner.sh'
unknown command or invalid arguments:  "read".

The file twoLiner.sh does have the expected contents:

PRAGMA page_size=4096 ;
.read placesDump.txt ;

I get the same error if I delete the PRAGMA line and just have
the .read in the file.

In the man page for sqlite3, .read will "Execute SQL in [a file]".
The problem is probably that .read itself is a meta-command, not
"SQL"; hence .read cannot be nested.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Jerry