Hi,

> Depending on your setup and depending on how often you need to query the
> count you could trade off a higher INSERT time for a lightning fast
> count by using a trigger.

I have thought about that as well, yes. I have bulk-Inserts that
prepropulate the table with a starting set of about 300k records and
then peridioc updates that may UPDATE OR INSERT a few thousand of those
every other hour.

There are more frequent queries for the count than updates, so having a
"cached" count is a good idea anyway.

So I would split the process: Do a COUNT(*) to update the cached count
after the Bulk-INSERT (where I would want to drop or deactivate the
trigger) and use the trigger to track the updates.

I have a similar two-fold approach regarding indexes. They get built
after the bulk insert and are then active during the updates.

Thank you for your suggestion.

Ciao, MM
--
Marian Aldenhövel, Rosenhain 23, 53123 Bonn
www.marian-aldenhoevel.de