"Hernan Eguiluz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> The problem is that a
> query like this
>

> SELECT column1, column2 from TABLE WHERE column1 LIKE "%PATTERN%" or
> column2 LIKE "%PATTERN%"
>

> won't tell me what column matched the LIKE.

SELECT column1, column1 LIKE '%PATTERN%',
                column2, column2 LIKE '%PATTERN%'
from mytable
WHERE column1 LIKE '%PATTERN%' or column2 LIKE '%PATTERN%';

The two new columns would contain 0 or 1.

If you don't want to repeat each pattern twice, you could try something
like this:

select column1, matches1, column2, matches2 from
(select column1, column1 LIKE '%PATTERN%' matches1,
            column2, column2 LIKE '%PATTERN%' matches2
 from mytable)
where matches1 or matches2;

Igor Tandetnik