Hi,

as far as I can see from source code, there are support for various R-tree
variants:
/*
** Exactly one of the following must be set to 1.
*/
#define VARIANT_GUTTMAN_QUADRATIC_SPLIT 0
#define VARIANT_GUTTMAN_LINEAR_SPLIT    0
#define VARIANT_RSTARTREE_SPLIT         1

My issue is the speed of populating the rtree, and doing so in memory while
the
application starts. As far as I can remember when I once studied rtrees,
the various R-/R+/R* -variants performs differently on inserts (though there
is a win on lookup).

It could be interesting to try out the various implementations in sqlite,
but
has the other variants been tested and can be relied on ?

Anyways, the sqlite package is a neat tool !

Regards,

Øyvind Idland