"D. Richard Hipp" <d...@hwaci.com> wrote
in message news:ff9afacd-4cde-4d66-a15f-3b9226df0...@hwaci.com
> Preliminary documentation can be seen at
> http://www.sqlite.org/draft/lang_savepoint.html

Describing the effects of RELEASE statement as committing a savepoint
may be somewhat misleading. How can one commit some changes in the
middle of a transaction? What happens to those committed changes if the
entire transaction is rolled back later?

At least I, personally, was thoroughly confused by it, and got
un-confused only after reading Postgress' documentation which describes
the effects of RELEASE statement as "destroys a savepoint, makes it
unavalilable for rollback, but has no other user visible behavior".
Basically, as I understand it, RELEASE simply makes it as if the
SAVEPOINT statement it names (and all subsequent ones) never happened -
except when the SAVEPOINT in question initiated the transaction in the
first place (which, as I understand, is illegal in Postgress), in which
case RELEASE is the same as COMMIT.

Igor Tandetnik