On Fri, Jan 09, 2009 at 07:42:27PM +0000, John Delaney scratched on the wall:

> Hi,
>
> I am a new user so please make allowances accordingly.
>
> Using SQLite3 3.5.9, I am seeing a consistent rise in memory with each
> call to sqlite3_step().

> This is basic functionality so I am doing something wrong.

  I'd assume it is the normal cache behavior.  By default, SQLite
  database pages are 1K and the max page cache is 2000, using a total
  of about 3MB of RAM (each page as a ~0.5K overhead).

  You could try a lot more queries and see if things level out and/or
  lower the cache limit via PRAGMA.

   -j

"Our opponent is an alien starship packed with atomic bombs.  We have
 a protractor."   "I'll go home and see if I can scrounge up a ruler
 and a piece of string."  --from Anathem by Neal Stephenson