We do thisby usig the Sqlite "Declared Type" (which can be anything you
choose) and intercepting it in a layer of software between Sqlite and
the application language manager.  For example we have a decimal number
type, a date type etc.  The data is stored as Sqlite TEXT or FLOAT but
the interface handle transformatiuon into the decimal or date format
exopecrted by the host langauge processor.