Roger Binns wrote:

And, since the code in question is to fix a problem, me thinks that,
perhaps, the developer should be checking to see that, in fact, he got
his single byte written.

int rc;
rc = write(dahdadah);
if (!rc)
{
    print_out_i_didn't_write_message("Call the fantastic developer, who
not being quick or dead, remembered to check the return codes from file
i/o functions to make sure that they did what they were supposed);
    exit(GO_HOME_EARLY_AND_DRINK_BEER);
}

Today's compilers are some of the best tools available for quality
software development. If we pay attention to those 'whack-a-mole'
issues, and think about them, we are probably, 99% of the time, going to
find that the compiler IS on our side. I remember days when I could hand
code better assembler and machine code than the compilers, but those
days are long gone....

Michael