I'm working on a simple SQLITE database browser (part of a larger
program) and I'm running into problems displaying larger (~8 million
rows) tables. I originally set out using OFFSET and LIMIT to grab the
rows I need to display on screen at any given time, but realized that
this becomes horribly slow as one gets to the millionth row onward. I
found this article: http://www.sqlite.org/cvstrac/wiki?
p=ScrollingCursor which offers an alternative method, but I can't make
use of it, as I have to allow for a variety of queries (and user-
defined queries) and can't employ the constraints here. I also can't
go by rowid, since I can't be certain that rows haven't been deleted.

My temporary solution for the moment is to preload hold a couple
thousand rows at a time in memory, which makes things somewhat
bearable, and my only other idea is to create a temp table for every
query which I can query by rowid, but I don't want to be copying
potentially millions of rows all the time.

Does anyone have any other ideas on how to do this?

Thanks!
_Nik