On 26/02/2009 11:55 AM, Roger Binns wrote:

Hi Roger,

> John Machin wrote:
>> In
>> that situation, the next question to arise would be "What other
>> currently-documented features must I avoid?"
>
> The usual solution is for documentation for each API to include version
> information about when it was introduced.
>
> In the short term you can go to http://www.sqlite.org/cvstrac/timeline
> and then scroll to the bottom of the page.  If you set number of days to
> 1,500 then you'll get the last 4 years of history.

That sounds good. I'll try it out later.

> However do note that the project makes it trivial to update to newer
> versions.  Best practise is to use the amalgamation directly in your
> project which means upgrading is as simple as updating one file.

I agree that SQLite makes it trivial to update to newer versions -- if
being used directly in C; via language X's DBAPI interface and Linux
distro Y might be another story :-) However my point is that many people
are prevented for various reasons for *deploying* that new version into
production, and are constrained to remain on some earlier version of
SQLite. To quote the person asking about replace():
"""
Unfortunately though I don't have the option of updating it, since I am
using it on a very widespread set of machines which I don't have root
privileges on...
"""

My question was along the lines of making it easier for such a person to
determine what set of features they should avoid when writing code.

Cheers,
John