On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 10:46:57AM -0400, D. Richard Hipp scratched on the wall:

> On Mar 20, 2009, at 10:43 AM, Jay A. Kreibich wrote:
>

>>  I suppose this is mostly a question for the SQLite development team:
>>
>>  I'm wondering why the dynamic libraries for the SQLite core and
>>  TCL-SQLite bindings are not available for Mac OS X (.dylib), when
>>  they are for Linux (.so) and Windows (.DLL).
>
> Because I do not know how to generate .dylib files.

  That's a good reason... and one that hopefully can be fixed.

  As I'm sure you know, .dylib files are the Mach-O (link format used
  by OS X) equivalent of ELF .so files.  The main difference is that
  .dylib files have a bit more meta data and can contain multiple
  architectures, so they need to be created with the right set of tools.

  You can use "libtool -dynamic", just like most platforms, or "gcc
  -dynamiclib" to do it directly from the compiler.  This works well
  enough with the amalgamation:

    $ gcc -dynamiclib sqlite3.c -o libsqlite3.dylib

  You can also embed version information and some meta info into the
  .dylib file.  If you have cross compilers installed, you can create a
  .dylib file that has both Intel and PowerPC object code, although
  that's becoming less and less important.

  If you want to take this off-line, I'd be happy to help with more
  specifics.

   -j

"Our opponent is an alien starship packed with atomic bombs.  We have
 a protractor."   "I'll go home and see if I can scrounge up a ruler
 and a piece of string."  --from Anathem by Neal Stephenson