I shall follow-up myself as I've made some progress.

I noticed that if I let the default loop run with !isalnum() and then
overrode specific ascii values like the apostrophe, then I started seeing
results which I expected.

I then realised that perhaps the fact that the MATCH query is "string*"
contains a non-alphanum symbol may be significant.  So as before, I found
using !isgraph() didn't return anything, but if I now do !isgraph, and then
set the value for '*' to be a delimiter also, then I get my results!

So that must have been the issue. Because I'm always doing prefix queries
again my dataset then I guess I must take that asterisk symbol into
consideration. If this is the reason, then it may be prudent to make certain
symbols that are key to the MATCH syntax to be explicit delimiters.

Anyway, it seems I've got what I've wanted now.

Thanks,
Andy