From: Derrell Lipman <derrell.lip...@unwireduniverse.com>
Subject: Re: [sqlite] [newbie] How to upgrade sqlite3 in Ubuntu?
To: "General Discussion of SQLite Database" <sqlite-users@sqlite.org>
Date: Sunday, May 3, 2009, 8:56 AM

On Sun, May 3, 2009 at 11:37 AM, scientist scientist <
scientist92...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
> My current Ubuntu version is 8.04 and it has sqlite3 3.4.2 by default. Now
> I want to upgrade sqlite3 to its newest version.
> I've already downloaded sqlite-amalgamation-3.6.13.tar.gz, uncompressed the
> package and run the following commands:
> ../configure
> make
> sudo make install
> But when I enter
> sqlite3
> the output result is still version 3.4.2
>
> How can I upgrade sqlite3 to its latest version 3.6.13?

The amalgamation probably installed into some directory not in your path.
You should look at where it installed (re-run ../configure and look at its
output, which should tell you where it will install to. For Ubuntu, you
almost certainly want it to install into /usr/local with the executable
going into /usr/local/bin. If it chose some path other than /usr/local, you
probably want to remove it from wherever it installed to.

Next, remove the Ubuntu-provided version of sqlite3 since you won't need it
any longer:

  sudo apt-get remove sqlite3

Now rerun configure like this, to specify the install prefix, and then
rebuild and reinstall:

  ../configure --prefix=/usr/local
  make
  sudo make install

If you're running csh type "rehash" to rescan your path.

Ensure that /usr/local/bin is in your path:

  echo $PATH

If not, add /usr/local/bin to your path (typically before /usr/bin in the
list) in your shell start-up file.

You can also type "which sqlite3" to see which version your shell is finding
first in the PATH.

Cheers,

Derrell