According to the file format document
(http://www.sqlite.org/fileformat.html): "[H30120] The 4 byte block
starting at byte offset 44 of a well-formed database file, the schema
layer file format, contains a big-endian integer value between 1 and 4,
inclusive."

However it is possible to end up with this being zero, e.g. by dropping
all tables/etc and then doing a VACUUM:

# Assume vacked.db doesn't exist
DOS-prompt>sqlite3 vacked.db
SQLite version 3.6.14
Enter ".help" for instructions
Enter SQL statements terminated with a ";"
sqlite> create table foo (x, y);
sqlite> insert into foo values(1, 2);
sqlite> drop table foo;
sqlite> vacuum;
sqlite> ^Z

This seems very much a corner case and I don't imagine this is a problem
in practice; any concern about this number being when it is too high for
the software opening the file, and as far as I can guess there is no
"too low" problem -- however in my opinion differences between such
documents and reality should always be reported, so here it is.

Cheers,
John