I have used sqlite for an embedded application using c++.  The sqlite
library is all in c and compiles on its own.  I then created several classes
that use the sqlite api.  The first is a DbHandler class.  This opens the
database and provides the public accessors to the rest of application.  I
then created a class for each table.  Each of these checks for existence and
creates the table if needed.  These also contain the query logic expected
for table.  It is a simple approach as I do not have a lot of interaction
between tables.  The public methods of the DbHandler pass in the database
pointer to methods of the table classes.  I have made sure to include
indexes with the larger tables and the benefit has been considerable.

Chris