On Sat, Jun 06, 2009 at 04:31:30PM +1000, Mark Constable scratched on the wall:
> Howdy, I'd like to end up with a shared NON-threaded NON-TCL binary
> but also with a libsqlite3.a static lib. Could anyone suggest how I
> could alter this Makefile to support these requirements please?

  Assuming you're using the amalgamation, the Makefile is for use
  with "configure".  It isn't designed to be hand-edited.

  This is likely the easiest way....

  Download:   http://sqlite.org/sqlite-amalgamation-3.6.14.2.tar.gz

  You want the amalgamation tar file.  This does not have TCL support.
  Only the "...-tea.tar.gz" file has TCL support.

  Unpack.

  Inside, run:

  $ ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --disable-threadsafe
  $ make

  That will build both the dynamic and static lib (in .libs), as well as
  the shell.  You can either pick your own install prefix above of copy
  the libs to wherever you need (just be aware of link path issues with
  the dynamic lib).

  If you want to compile things by hand, just pass the -DTHREADSAFE=0
  on the command line when you compile sqlite3.c.

  $ cc -DTHREADSAFE=0 -c sqlite3.c      # build sqlite3.o
  $ cc -o sqlite3 sqlite3.o shell.c     # build sqlite3 binary
  $ ar cru libsqlite3.a sqlite3.o       # build libsqlite3.a

  Check the syntax on that last line.  It may be different for you.

   -j

"Our opponent is an alien starship packed with atomic bombs.  We have
 a protractor."   "I'll go home and see if I can scrounge up a ruler
 and a piece of string."  --from Anathem by Neal Stephenson