> You write your own comparison function that would consider these two
> strings equal. See sqlite3_create_function, sqlite3_create_collation.

Well,

this problem pertains not only to Zürich, but to 24000 other entries, so
I guess that this is no option for me.
And again, I am using the sqlite3 command line exe and can't compile a
custom version.

> Why would you ever want two % in a row? A % matches zero or more of
> arbitrary characters. You might be thinking of an underscore _.

OK. Thanks for the hint, I was under the wrong assumption that % matches
one character exactly, whereas this seems to be "_".

>> So far ,  so good, but my client also expects ANY simplification of a
>> character to be recognized:
>> Cote d'azur for instance  should return "Côte d'azur"
>> or the Sao Paulo issue - how can a search for "Sao Paulo" return "Sào
>> Paulo" in the result set?
>>
> How are these examples different from previous ones?

I am sorry, but I find this to be quite obvious?
Here, the problematic char is to be found in the *result set*, not in
the query itself.

How do you educate SQlite to return me "Sào Paulo" if only "Sao Paulo"
is being entered?
How do I know which character to substitute with a placeholder?

Is it
S%o Paulo to look for?
Or Sa% Paulo?
Or Sao P%ulo?

I can't know this beforehand. These are just examples, i need a generic
solution if possivble.

All i can see so far is to build a table of all special characters ever
used in the 24000 names of cities which make problems and remap them
accordingly.

--
Christophe Leske

www.multimedial.de - i...@multimedial.de
http://www.linkedin.com/in/multimedial
Lessingstr. 5 - 40227 Duesseldorf - Germany
+49(0)180102 - 06 60 02 96 // +49(0)177 249 70 31

This e-mail may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended
recipient,
it is appreciated that you notify the sender and delete your copy. Thank you.