Hi,

I am a new user to sqlite3, I have a program that searches through a
database. I have a table with 1 column as varchar and I want to
perform a search on it.
I have created an index over that column. And I use a select query
with "column_name LIKE 'a%' ".
So my first question is will this query use the index created or not?

And if it does then , according to my understanding select query like
above will directly locate records starting with 'a' and results will
be returned. And if I change my query to have "column_name LIKE 'ab%'
" will take more time then previous because sqlite3 will have to
perform strcmp of some sort to find results.
But the results that I have observed , it seems that 2nd query takes
less time than first one.

And if it doesn't then, how do I make use of index with LIKE queries.

Thanks a lot in Advance.
Aalap..

--
"Real men don't use backups, they post their stuff on a public ftp
server and let the rest of the world make copies."  - Linus Torvalds