Bruce Robertson wrote:
>> We use a system of updating an Sqlite database buit use port 80 to send
>> data in XML format.
>>
>> Is there a reason you have access to the email port and not the HTTP
>> port 80?  It is very complex to identify a missing email but using port
>> 80 and HTTP the process is almost trivial
>>
>> Our system maintains sync'd databases and compensates for network
>> outages quite robustly.  Remote work sites can continue to operate when
>> the communication link is down and thus deliver 24/7 availability..
>>

> Could you describe this in more detail?

The application is actually a set of remote weighstations.  The load
cell is interfaced to a PC which has an internet connection.  The local
PC maintains a mirror of the parts of the central database relevant to
that location.  Transcaction data is embedded in an XML document and
uses port 80 to penetrate a firewall and reach the central server.  An
ACK or NAK comes back in XML.  Reference data updates come from the
central server in XML and update the local mirror DB.  Locally added
reference data ytiggers an XML message to the central server.

Each table in the central server has a signature word which is updated
at each modification.  The remote mirros use that signature to verify
their sync state.

When the internet connection is broken local transactions are queued and
when the connection is restored the queue empties.

The remote application is a Windows or Linux program which implements
HTTP protocol.  The central server just uses a regular web server.  XML
is used to carry the data so that changes in database schema and message
content will not break deployed systems.

This system is easy to install because it will work anywhere a browser
will work to support this simple distributed database.