On Wed, 22 Jul 2009, scabral wrote:

> does someone have 'good' instructions on what i need and how i need to
> install SQLite on Windows XP?

Scott,

   I don't do Windows; haven't for more than a dozen years. However, it
doesn't look too hard.

> the instructions on the SQLite website are pretty crappy to say the least.
> When i download the zip file, all i get is 3 txt files???

   Well, those of us on non-Microsoft systems are used to installing new
applications either from distribution-specific packages or by building and
installing from the source code. There are probably generic installation
instructions for XP, too.

   If you go to the download section of the Web site you'll see this:

Precompiled Binaries For Windows
        sqlite-3_6_16.zip
        (246.32 KiB)            A command-line program for accessing and
                                modifying SQLite databases. See the
                                documentation for additional information.

        tclsqlite-3_6_16.zip
        (314.99 KiB)            Bindings for Tcl/Tk. You can import this
                                shared library into either tclsh or wish to
                                get SQLite database access from Tcl/Tk. See
                                the documentation for details.

        sqlitedll-3_6_16.zip
        (243.68 KiB)            This is a DLL of the SQLite library without
                                the TCL bindings. The only external
                                dependency is MSVCRT.DLL.

        sqlite3_analyzer-3.6.1.zip
        (508.70 KiB)            An analysis program for database files
                                compatible with SQLite version 3.6.1 and
                                later.

   So I presume that you downloaded both sqlite-3_6_16.zip and
sqlitedll-3_6_16.zip. Yes?

   Aren't there generic instructions for installing *.exe and *.dll files?

> I eventually want to create a desktop application to run on SQLite, but not
> sure what language i want to use yet (pythong, ruby, etc...)

   For stand-alone applications I suggest Python (without the 'g'); for
Web-based (or http server-based) applications I suggest Ruby on Rails.

Rich