>On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 08:28:13AM -0500, Beau Wilkinson scratched on the wall:
>> To me that seems like an annoying deviation from standard practice.
>> Do other databases support such an INSERT?
>
>Yes.  MySQL, PostgreSQL, and SQLServer all support this syntax.
>
>Oracle supports a slightly modified syntax that allows multple rows
>to be inserted into multiple tables with one INSERT ALL.  The syntax
>for that is basically INSERT ALL INTO... INTO... INTO...
>
> DB2 and HSQL (and SQLite) do not support this.
>
> Personally, I think the first syntax would be a nice enhancement.
>
> It is also worth noting that every non-SQL Relational language (e.g.
>  Tutorial-D) I've looked at supports some form of multiple inserts, usually
>  into multiple tables, with one command.  If you're a stickler for
> constraints, and believe enforcement shouldn't be delayed (as most
>  theory-heavy folks do), you have to have something like this.

I definitely see what you mean about constraints; I guess when I was doing
heavy (Oracle) database programming I must have been sidestepping the issue by
turning things constraints off selectively, or maybe just inserting things in a
certain order.

Doesn't what you said about constraints imply that the individual sub-INSERTs
must be treated as if they all arrive at the database at once, e.g. for
purposes of constraint checking? This will be a detail to consider if this gets
implemented...

The information contained in this e-mail is privileged and confidential
information intended only for the use of the individual or entity named.  If
you are not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for
delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that
any disclosure, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication
is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please
immediately notify the sender and delete any copies from your system.