Hello,
We use a julian.decimal format to represent date/time (i.e. noon of August
26, 2009 would be 40049.5000) and we use this julian date for an index key.
Our databases are frequently up to 3GB in size containing 10 million records
with 15 assorted field types per record and contain 6 months of data.  I'm
proposing to break up the julian.date into two separate integers for the
data and time and index off the date integer.

Of course this change will give queries some sort of a speed boost, but by
how much would you think?

Many thanks,
Dan