A Toronto Globe and Mail columnist writes about

Vacuum Places Improved (tested v1) for Firefox

Free Windows/Mac/Linux Firefox profile cleaner by Luca Niccoli

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/technology/the-everything-utility/article1279326/

Buried in the article he says:

"The places database powers Firefox's auto-complete address bar, giving
it full access to all the sites you've been to recently and the ones
you've bookmarked. But this new ability comes at a price: the more
robust SQLite database format suffers from slow performance without
routine maintenance, and Firefox doesn't perform this maintenance
itself. You could do it manually by figuring out the SQLite command
needed, but why bother when a Firefox add-on can do the job for you?"

----
This seems like 'damned with faint praise' to me.
Should I let it pass or is a comment on the article justified?