Are you wanting something like this:

INSERT INTO 'mytable' (key, 'visitorcount', 'visitdate')
VALUES (123456789, 1, NOW())
ON DUPLICATE KEY UPDATE 'visitorcount' = 'visitorcount' + 1

the key statement being: ON DUPLICATE KEY UPDATE

not tested but it seems like that is what you are looking for.  Its
sometimes refered to "upsert" processing...

Tony