On 21 Sep 2009, at 6:53pm, Brad House wrote:

> I definitely don't agree here as we're talking about these additional
> locks existing _only_ in memory, not on disk.

Which requires client/server architecture.  Which SQLite3 doesn't
have.  Once you require concurrent access features in your DBMS (i.e.
multi-user, lots of locking) the things you nned to implement start to
be easier with a client/server architecture, whether it's a standalone
client application that must be launched manually or just a unix-style
daemon running in the background which is launched automatically when
needed and quits when nothing has used it in a while.

On 21 Sep 2009, at 6:44pm, Pavel Ivanov wrote:

> Interesting point, Simon. Are you saying that all developers of big
> database engines that implemented row-level locks are just idiots
> because there's no benefit from it at all? They had to implement just
> database-level locks and all users would be a lot happier because
> they'd received a significant performance boost?

Nope.  They chose to implement a big database engine and that meant
they chose client/server architecture, which makes locking (and all
other things that require centralised control) less difficult.  It's
just that this is not how SQLite works.

Simon.