Pavel Ivanov wrote:
>> But after all these years I wonder why they don't fix the fork problem?
>> MacOS runs on Intel processors. Windows runs on Intel processors. Surely
>> they could learn how it *should* be done by studying things like the
>> Open Source Java code?
>
> You seem to forget the basics. It's not the processor who makes fork()
> possible, it's OS. Unix kernel implemented fork() and Unix kernel

Your point is taken. My point was why, after all these years, someone
hasn't found a way to make cygwin faster. Surely, even under Windows
there must be a way. I think to redefine cygwin's mission to embrace
its slowness is a cop out. (I could state this in many other ways but
that is what got me banned on the cygwin group some years back).

Now sqlite3 is very different. From what I've seen of it so far, it
is elegantly implemented, fast, robust, and a real testament to
very bright and capable programmers. (take that cygwin! ;-) ).