I guess you didn't work with SQL anywhere in your developer life,
right? Read some books or internet pages about it. You can start from
here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SQL and follow any links there.

To update column in all rows of the table you need to issue the
following statement:

UPDATE table_name SET column_name = value

It doesn't require you to loop through all rows although DBMS will
iterate all of them for you.

Pavel