On 21 Oct 2009, at 11:34pm, Sylvain Pointeau wrote:

> if your "book" contains all lines (a,b,c,t,d)and you create an index
> on
> (a,b,c,t)

I assume you meant to add ',d'in there.

> then your index is as fat as your book, isn't it?

Yes.  And it still isn't as useful for any SELECT that doesn't use the
fields in the right order.  And it's more useful for a SELECT that
does use those fields in the right order.  And it's less useful if you
ever want to read the text in an order that makes any sense: I cannot
read the index to a text book and learn the information the textbook
wants to teach me.

Simon.