"David Morris" <dmor5...@bigpond.net.au> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:26044356.p...@talk.nabble.com...

> Have a peek at : http://www.sqlitening.com/support/index.php
> Different language and could run under Wine on *nix

Ah - yes of course, I left it out here, since it currently is "win only"
(written in PowerBasic). Already played around with it some months
ago - not bad. And IIRC, there was also a C-port planned regarding
the sources - which would allow to compile and run it natively
on more target-platforms.

But yes, the Wine-Layer runs very well these days, especially
if only service-like apps are hosted (with a minimal GUI). The
translation of the winsock-api into the *nix-socket-stack works
very reliable over long uptime-periods, as well as the mappings
and translations into the *nix-filesystems (and all that with much
better performance, compared with VM-based approaches ...
which would also require appropriate Win-OS-licenses per VM).

So, hosting such "IO-related services", originally developed for
win (mainly because "also the clientside has to run on that platform")
on *nix-servers (with a little help of the wine-layer) is now possible
without much hazzle - we do it this way for a few years now,
running our win-compiled service-binaries/layers on debian/wine-
machines.

Olaf