Kristoffer Danielsson wrote:
> A: SELECT COUNT(DataID) FROM Data GROUP BY DataID ORDER BY COUNT(DataID);
>
> B: SELECT COUNT(DataID) AS X FROM Data GROUP BY DataID ORDER BY X;
>
> Is statement B faster than A? Why?

Last time I checked, SQLite didn't perform any kind of common subexpression
elimitation. Its expression evaluator was very simple-minded, closely following
the syntax tree.

Things might have improved since then, but I wouldn't be surprised if statement
A calls count() twice per row while statement B only once. I also think that
any resulting difference in performance is likely to be immeasurably small. Why
don't you test it and find out, if you are really curious?

Igor Tandetnik